High-profile downtown Nanaimo building finally being torn down

By NanaimoNewsNOW Staff
March 19, 2017 - 7:21am

The wrecking ball is being taken to a historic downtown Nanaimo building on SundayPhoto Credit: Crankshaw Holdings

NANAIMO — Almost a year after a massive downtown Nanaimo fire, the Jean Burns building on Victoria Crescent near Terminal Avenue is finally being torn down.

Demolition crews will be on site Sunday, March 18 from 6 to 9 a.m. For demolition, according to a news release from the building's owner, Crankshaw Holdings.

The company's Rick Hyne told NanaimoNewsNOW lane closures on Sunday will not impede or divert traffic.

He said there could be occasional single-lane traffic for about the next three weeks.

The old Acme Restaurant building will remain intact as it was not structurally damaged, according to Hyne.

A massive fire deemed accidental on March 31 of last year forced 15 small businesses out of the heritage building.

Hyne said delays with multiple partners, inclulding Worksafe BC and insurance companies, slowed the process of getting rid of the building.

The future of the Jean Burns building is unclear as Crankshaw Holdings is up for sale.

 

 

[email protected]

On Twitter: @NanaimoNewsNOW

 

Husk of downtown Jean Burns building torn down