NANAIMO — Devastating news for the family and friends of missing teenager Makayla Chang.
According to a release, Nanaimo RCMP have found a body they believe to be Chang and they're treating it as a homicide. RCMP had previously said foul play was a possibility in her disappearance.
At the moment it's unknown when or where her body was recovered and police won't comment.
The high-profile investigation into Chang's disapperance began when she was officially reported missing on March 22. It included searching a house possibly linked to 53-year-old Steven Bacon, who RCMP never described as a suspect but said they wished to speak with him.
Bacon did speak with investigators and was not mentioned again by officials during the investigation.
RCMP declined an interview and said they won't provide more information at this time since the investigation into the "murder of Chang" is ongoing.
Isaac Yates, a friend who described himself as "like a big brother" to Chang, said he was in disbelief when he got a phone call with the horrific news.
"I just didn't believe it at first. There's no way this could be happening."
Yates said it's a "tragedy for everyone" and he expected emotions within Chang's circle of friends to run the gamut from being extremely mad to in denial.
"I'll remember how smiley and happy she always was. How upbeat, how she'd always try to make everyone's life so much better."
He said for him Thursday's announcement will provide some form of closure.
"Her memory is never going to fade," Yates said.
On Twitter: @nanaimonewsnow