'Foul play may be involved' in Nanaimo teen's disappearance: RCMP

By NanaimoNewsNOW Staff
April 10, 2017 - 5:31pm

This Bruce Ave. home was the subject of an RCMP search warrant Monday.Spencer Sterritt/NanaimoNewsNOW

NANAIMO — For the first time since the disappearance of Nanaimo teen Makayla Chang, Mounties are publicly referencing the possibility of foul play.

The RCMP's specialized Tactical Response Team was called in on Monday, April 10, to search a property at 601 Bruce Ave. and a home at 609 Bruce Ave., according to Nanaimo Cst. Gary O'Brien. Team members were seen combing the ground, bushes and debris in the yard.

"We do recognize that she's been missing for upwards of three weeks now and when we look at all the factors involved we just simply can't rule out that foul play may be involved," O'Brien said.

O'Brien confirmed the home is the same one which was the focus of a multi-day search at the end of March. Multiple media outlets reported it as the residence of 53-year-old Steven Bacon, however O'Brien would not confirm that detail. "We can say that Makayla was known to stay and frequent that home," he said.

Police had been searching for Bacon until last Thursday when he spoke with investigators. He has not been identified as a person of interest or suspect to this point.

Chang is described as 5'1", 110 lbs. with dyed red hair and hazel eyes. RCMP said she often wears wigs and sometimes presents as a man. She has not been seen or heard from since March 17.

Anyone with information is asked to call Nanaimo RCMP at 250-754-2345 and Crime Stoppers.

 

[email protected]

On Twitter: @NanaimoNewsNOW

Nanaimo candidates weigh in on Vancouver Island campaign platform