LOCAL NEWS, DELIVERED DAILY. Subscribe to our daily news wrap and get the top stories sent straight to your inbox every evening.
B.C. Conservative leadership candidate Kerry-Lynne Findlay looks on during a debate at the Canada Strong and Free Network conference in Vancouver on Friday, April 24, 2026. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Chad Hipolito

B.C. Conservative hopeful Findlay still in race after ‘unproven and anonymous’ claims

May 22, 2026 | 2:54 PM

VICTORIA — The committee organizing the leadership race for the B.C. Conservatives says it doesn’t have enough credible evidence to take action against a candidate after a media report said she was accused of wrongdoing in the last federal election.

The leadership campaign for Kerry-Lynne Findlay said earlier this week that the allegations are false and the “unproven and anonymous” claims were leaked to the media at the most politically damaging moment possible.

Findlay said on social media platform X on Friday that her campaign won’t be stopped “no matter what they throw” at her, and she won’t be silenced or intimidated.

She is one of five candidates on the ballot to replace John Rustad as voting starts on Saturday among members of the main provincial opposition party.

A statement from the Commissioner of Canada Elections’ office says it is aware of the report about Findlay but it doesn’t confirm receiving a complaint or initiating an investigation because of confidentiality provisions in the federal Elections Act.

The statement from the leadership race’s organizing committee says Findlay has “not provided any substantive response or co-operated” and it has reached out to investigators from the commissioner’s office, but has received no response.

The organizing committee says its “goal is to provide the membership with as much information as possible and to act in the party’s best interests.”

Findlay has a news conference scheduled for Monday.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published May 22, 2026.

The Canadian Press