Nanaimo RCMP have charged a 26-year-old man for failing to stop at an accident causing death, after a 90-year-old woman was hit by a vehicle in Cedar in February 2024. (File photo/NanaimoNewsNOW)
failing to stop

Charge laid after 90-year-old woman killed in Cedar hit-and-run

Feb 14, 2025 | 12:25 PM

NANAIMO — A 26-year-old local man has been charged in relation to the death of a senior in Cedar last year.

Justin Kenneth Nicholls was arrested and formally charged Wednesday, Feb. 12 with one count of failing to stop at an accident causing death, after he allegedly struck and killed a 90-year-old woman in the 2800 block of Cedar Rd. near Bennie Rd. on Feb. 24, 2024.

A passerby discovered the unconscious woman around 8:50 p.m. on the side of the road and attempted to provide first aid, alerting 911 and neighbours nearby.

Despite lifesaving efforts on scene the woman, identified by Nanaimo RCMP as Albertha Abma, was pronounced dead.

Mounties said at the time they believed the woman was hit earlier in the evening, with the vehicle and driver not remaining at the scene or reporting the incident.

Cst. Sherri Wade told NanaimoNewsNOW it’s been a lengthy investigation.

“The investigators have said without the help from the community of Cedar…they were not getting very far in their investigation because there were no witnesses. He’s grateful for people who did come forward.”

Wade said thanks to assistance from their department and Ms. Abma’s community, they were able to identify a vehicle and the driver.

Nicholls has no prior criminal history in B.C. and made a first appearance in court on Feb. 12.

He’s due back on April 8.

RCMP officers were on scene the day after a fatal crash along Cedar Rd., collecting additional evidence, in February 2024. (File photo/NanaimoNewsNOW)

Local news. Delivered. Free. Subscribe to our daily news wrap and get our top local stories delivered to your email inbox every evening.

info@nanaimonewsnow.com

Follow us on: Twitter (X) | Bluesky | Facebook