Nanaimo RCMP investigating 3rd homicide of 2017

By NanaimoNewsNOW Staff
September 12, 2017 - 12:48pm Updated: September 12, 2017 - 2:03pm

The apartment building on the corner of Nicol and Farquar St., where Nanaimo RCMP Spencer Sterritt/NanaimoNewsNOW

NANAIMO — The Nanaimo Serious Crimes Unit is investigating after a man died following an assault. 

RCMP Cpl. Jon Stuart said the victim was found in an apartment building on the corner of Nicol St. and Farquar St. on Monday night. Stuart said the victim had been assaulted and later died of his injuries. 

"The investigation is in its infancy. They're still looking at a lot of leads and there's still a lot of work to do." 

There have been no arrests in the case and Stuart said there's no risk to the public since it's believed the attack was an isolated incident.

This is the third homicide in Nanaimo so far this year, after a targetted shooting at the Howard Johnson hotel downtown and the death of teen Makayla Chang.

"It's very concerning anytime there's a loss of life," Stuart said. "Each of these is individual and on its own. It's an unfortunate set of circumstances they all happened within the same year." 

Stuart couldn't confirm if the victim was known to police, but said he anticipated more information being released as the investigation continued.

 

[email protected]

On Twitter: @nanaimonewsnow

Nanaimo man strikes plea deal in massive Utah meth bust