LOCAL NEWS, DELIVERED DAILY. Subscribe to our daily news wrap and get the top stories sent straight to your inbox every evening.
20-year-old Connor Tyler Beckett threatened a taxi cab driver with a knife one year ago in Qualicum Beach. He was sentenced on Tuesday, Jan 6 at BC Supreme Court in Nanaimo. (file photo/NanaimoNewsNOW)
late-night chaos

Taxi driver in Qualicum Beach robbed at knifepoint, offender sentenced

Jan 7, 2026 | 4:05 PM

NANAIMO — A late-night cab ride turned violent when a front-seat customer took exception to being asked for payment prior to continuing an extended trip.

The customer, Connor Tyler Beckett, pleaded guilty to assault and theft charges in relation to an incident in the early morning hours of Jan 10, 2025, in Qualicum Beach.

An agreed statement of facts heard Beckett, 20, was picked up at Departure Bay ferry terminal by a taxi driver, with instructions to take the customer to Port Alberni.

Crown counsel Gregory Furmaniuk told court the driver elected to stop on Memorial Ave. in Qualicum Beach to request payment before venturing to the Alberni Valley.

“The customer’s debit card did not have sufficient funds. The complainant further told police that the customer brandished a knife and demanded all of the complainant’s money,” Furmaniuk relayed during a Tuesday, Jan 6 sentencing hearing in Nanaimo.

Beckett also stole the driver’s backpack and fled from the cab’s front seat.

The driver quickly called Oceanside RCMP.

A police dog was dispatched, which promptly spotted the offender who was attempting to hide under a nearby tree.

Beckett appeared to be under the influence of drugs, according to responding police.

Beckett’s belongings on scene included a probation order in relation to prior offending.

He has been behind bars ever since the offence.

A plea agreement resulting in a 15-month jail sentence means Beckett is scheduled to serve 29 further days behind bars due to enhanced credit for time already served.

Beckett was also handed two years’ probation with numerous conditions, including a sweeping weapons ban, a DNA order, and counselling provisions.

The Crown’s Furmaniuk said Beckett has substance misuse issues.

A victim impact statement was provided to the court, detailing the victim’s ongoing trauma.

BC Supreme Court Justice Douglas Thompson told Beckett that his actions profoundly impacted the cab driver’s emotional well-being.

“You scared the man badly, and remains troubled by this, and it cuts into his ability to earn an income because he doesn’t want people in the front seat,” Thompson said, as he spoke directly to the offender seated in the prisoner’s box.

Defence attorney Jordan Watt said while his client has a strong work history, he’ll require formal programming post-release.

“The hope is, by this probation order, it will be able to assist Mr. Beckett, assist him in getting the resources that he needs,” Watt said.

Beckett elected not to formally speak, but did briefly reference that he was previously in the military and that he understood his probation conditions.

His guilty pleas cancelled a pending jury trial, which was slated to start on Monday, Jan 19, in Nanaimo.

Subscribe to our daily news wrap. Local news delivered to your email inbox every evening. Stay up to date on everything Nanaimo and Oceanside.

info@nanaimonewsnow.com

Follow us on: Twitter (X) | Bluesky | Facebook