LOCAL NEWS, DELIVERED DAILY. Subscribe to our daily news wrap and get the top stories sent straight to your inbox every evening.
The future is unclear for the drop-in Hub in downtown Nanaimo, with advocates touting the critical work they're doing while neighbours say they've had enough. (Jordan Davidson/NanaimoNewsNOW)
hub update

‘Big city problems:’ relocation efforts continue for contentious downtown Nanaimo drop-in Hub

Jan 5, 2026 | 6:39 AM

NANAIMO — Local advocates for the unhoused highlighted the work done this year by the Nanaimo drop-in shelter known as the Hub, while nearby residents are more than eager to see it moved.

The year-round warming and cooling centre at 55 Victoria Rd. in Nanaimo’s downtown opened in January, and has been a source of controversy for neighbours ever since, with the City funding it until the end of March while directing City Staff to find another location.

During a progress report presented at a Dec. 17 finance and audit committee meeting, City manager of social development Christy Wood said the Hub is a key access point for unhoused individuals to find support.

“It is important to note that wherever a hub is located, there will be visible homelessness as individuals travel to that location, along with the diverse, complex needs that are associated with homelessness in general.”

The Hub is operated through a joint partnership between Island Crisis Care Society (ICCS) and Nanaimo Family Life Association (NFLA), with financial backing from the City.

The report said they’ve been unable to identify a new, suitable location, with 20 properties explored so far.

Barriers include landlords being unwilling to rent them a space, buildings not meeting their needs, and a lack of funding for sites only available for purchase.

Wood said they haven’t looked at properties in the south end due to neighbourhood concerns about the high concentration of similar support services in the area.

Delegates in Favour
Several people spoke for and against the Hub during the meeting, including Hub operators, clients, nearby residents and members of community groups.

Deborah Hollins, executive director of NFLA, said there has long been an urgent need for 24-hour services for unhoused individuals in Nanaimo.

“The Hub, despite falling a few hours short of a 24/hour service, is the only place in our city where unhoused people have consistent access to support during daytime and evening hours. This matters because crisis, illness, hunger, trauma, and withdrawal do not operate on a schedule. Without a 24-hour system, people fall through the gaps, and the entire community feels the impact of that.”

She said they have supported 392 unique individuals at the Hub since opening.

Of those, 132 identified as Indigenous, and 112 were over the age of 55.

The Hub sees between 80-100 unique visitors each day, with an average of one new person per day.

Hollins said they’ve provided almost 4,000 meals, helped clients get new IDs, and provided access to housing and healthcare resources.

She said 21 “highly street-entrenched people” have found housing with their support, and so far, they’ve all remained housed.

Responding to a question about the need for a purpose-built building for these services, Hollins said their needs have been made clear to BC Housing.

“…much like what we toured in the summer in Vancouver. We saw that a building that has showers, that has laundry services, food services, that’s working. We’re asking for the same thing here. We’re a small city, but we have very big city problems, and we have to start thinking differently.”

When asked about ways they’ve attempted to reduce the neighbourhood impacts, Hollins said their staff provides support to clients immediately outside of their building, but they aren’t trained to deal with more “challenging” people, and won’t put their staff in danger.

Concerns from neighbours regarding the Hub include littering, loitering, open drug use, violence, and a generally unsafe environment, with the attached sidewalk along Nicol St. often found in this condition, regardless of the time. (Jordan Davidson/NanaimoNewsNOW)

Delegates Against
Multiple people who live in the area also spoke against the Hub, many not for the first time.

They included Gail Murray, who owns three properties along Nicol St. directly across from the Hub, and said she’s spent “tens of thousands” in repairs to her properties this year, along with fearing for the personal safety of herself and her tenants.

She said while she’s happy to hear people are getting help from the Hub, this isn’t about the unhoused.

“This is about public use of drugs, street disorder, and the lack of safety for our community members. We’ve seen effective shelters, some in this area. They don’t create the lawlessness that we’re experiencing as a result of the operations of this shelter and Hub.”

She said she regularly calls the police to deal with social disorder activity on her properties, including trespassing, loitering, garbage, fires, drug paraphernalia, fights and arguments, and human waste.

“Daytime is chaotic. We heard that word many times today. Nighttime is equally chaotic. It’s noted that some are turned away at the shelter at night, then they shelter on my property. They wander around, doing their thing, while my tenants feel unsafe trying to sleep. These are traumatic experiences we should not be forced to experience and carry, including our children.”

The report was accepted for information, and the committee approved Council sending a letter to the Ministry of Housing and Municipal Affairs to discuss the urgent need for funding for the Hub and other housing-related priorities.

Local news. Delivered. Free. Subscribe to our daily news wrap and get our top local stories delivered to your email inbox every evening.

info@nanaimonewsnow.com

Follow us on: Twitter (X) | Bluesky | Facebook