LOCAL NEWS, DELIVERED DAILY. Subscribe to our daily news wrap and get the top stories sent straight to your inbox every evening.
Steven Michael Perret, 51, an RCMP Staff Sargeant, pleaded guilty to a Motor Vehicle Act charge for driving at an excessive speed relative to road conditions for an incident in Ladysmith in June of 2024. Perret was driving the dark-coloured SUV when it collided with a red Dodge Caravan at the Hyy 1. Edgelow Rd. intersection. (Supplied)
attempted traffic stop

‘Uphold our laws to the utmost level:’ RCMP Staff Sgt. sentenced for 2024 Ladysmith collision

Nov 24, 2025 | 4:28 PM

NANAIMO — An RCMP officer must pay a fine after the SUV he was driving hit another vehicle in Ladysmith last year causing significant injuries, particularly to the officer.

Staff Sgt. Steven Michael Perret, 51, was given a $1,500 fine in relation to a June 2024 collision in Ladysmith, after the unmarked SUV he was driving while on-duty went through a red light and hit another vehicle at the Hwy. 1 and Edgelow Rd. intersection.

In a B.C. provincial court in Nanaimo on Monday, Nov. 24, judge Tamara Hodge said while police and other emergency responders are allowed to ignore certain road laws in special circumstances, they’re still required to follow procedure and ensure they’re acting safely and responsibly.

“We’re in court because of Mr. Perret’s profession, and from my perspective, the community needs to know that when somebody is in a profession like Mr. Perret, a police officer, S/Sgt., the community needs to know that the justice systems takes it really seriously and looks at it carefully the actions of police officers, because when they’re out there in the community, we rely on them to uphold our laws to the utmost level.”

Perret was originally charged with driving a motor vehicle without due care and attention, but it was changed to driving at a speed which was excessive relative to the road, traffic, visibility, or weather conditions, leading to the guilty plea and joint submission from the Crown and defence.

Incident
Court heard how on June 1, 2024, shortly before noon, Perret was driving the unmarked Chevrolet Tahoe southbound on Hwy. 1, when a Dodge Caravan driven by a man in his 80s was heading northbound, and was hit by the Tahoe as they were turning west onto Edgelow Rd.

The impact caused the Tahoe to flip onto its roof in the ditch, while the Caravan was also significantly damaged.

Data taken from the Tahoe’s on-board driving system showed it was travelling at 79 kilometres per hour eight seconds before the crash, accelerated to 119 kilometres per hour before hitting the brakes, colliding with the Caravan while likely doing around 90-96 kilometres per hour.

Perret did not have his siren active, and there are conflicting reports on whether his emergency lights were activated at the time.

Four witnesses confirmed seeing the Tahoe change from the inside lane to the outside lane before entering the intersection.

The speed limit on the road is 90 kilometres per hour, with advanced warning lights 118 metres from the intersection stop line.

During sentencing, Perret’s defence lawyer said the S/Sgt. was monitoring a group of bikers in Ladysmith participating in a poker run, stopping at various pubs as they made their way south towards Shawnigan Lake.

He argued Perret was in the process of attempting to pull over some of the bikers who had ridden through the intersection on a red light when he hit the Caravan.

Both Perret and the driver of the Caravan were taken to hospital, treated and released the same day.

The victim suffered a fractured ankle and recovered in a few months, while Perret suffered more serious injuries which involved weeks of recovery and ongoing, lingering effects.

Injuries included whiplash and a concussion, with Perret’s lawyer telling court he currently suffers from symptoms of chronic concussion syndrome, including fatigue and partial vision loss.

He is currently back at work full-time, after being off work for a month during recovery.

Judge Hodge said being a police officer doesn’t exempt him from his actions.

“He was driving at an excessive speed given the traffic conditions, and that’s why there is the plea there is. Unfortunately, what occurred when you went through that intersection has had tragic consequences, more specifically for himself, than the driver of the other vehicle.”

Perret has 28 years of experience with the RCMP and a clean driving record, with numerous letters of support submitted to the court on his behalf by other RCMP members.

He has nine months to pay a victim surcharge fine of approximately $225, and will face an internal RCMP code of conduct investigation following the sentencing, as well as three demerit points added to his license.

Currently employed at the RCMP’s detachment in Duncan, Perret was serving with the Vancouver Island District RCMP at the time of the alleged offence, according to the B.C.Prosecution Service.

The original Motor Vehicle Act charge against Perret was approved in May.

Subscribe to our daily news wrap. Local news delivered to your email inbox every evening. Stay up to date on everything Nanaimo and Oceanside.

info@nanaimonewsnow.com

Follow us on: Twitter (X) | Bluesky | Facebook