NANAIMO — A continuing barrage of snow brought further school closures and service disruptions to Nanaimo Tuesday.
We'll update this page often throughout the day with conditions and issues as they happen. The latest information will appear at the top of the list. If you see something, please share it with us.
For up-to-the-second updates, be sure to follow along on our Facebook page.
- RDN Transit almost fully back to regular routing as of 1:30 p.m.
- Some flight delays and cancellations for arrivals and departures from Nanaimo Airport this afternoon. Best to check with your air carrier if you're travelling
- All three RBC branches in Nanaimo closing at 3 p.m. Tuesday
- Environment Canada says about 10cm of snow has fallen at Nanaimo Airport since 6am Tuesday morning, meaning some areas have seen 50+cm since Sunday afternoon. It has slowed or stopped in many areas around 12:30 p.m. EC calling for about 5cm this afternoon, before snow eases late today. Flurries are possible tonight
- Comment re: road conditions in central Nanaimo around 11:30 a.m.: Any road not on a bus route/main route is in poor condition. Stay home if you can
- 565 Hydro customers without power in the Yellow Point area behind Nanaimo Aiport. Crews expected on scene around 12 p.m.
- All SD68 and SD69 schools are closed on Tuesday, Feb. 12. Vancouver Island University is also closed
- The City of Nanaimo confirmed garbage pickup is cancelled for the second straight day. Collection is also on hold throughout Lantzville and the RDN
- Road crews hit the streets Monday night to clear priority routes and are still out clearing roads. The City advises residents to stay at home and off the streets if they can
- Flights to Vancouver were cancelled at the Nanaimo Airport up to 8:20 a.m. The next flights are in the noon-hour
- Ferries from Nanaimo to the Mainland are running. All late Monday trips were cancelled due to inclement weather
- Several RDN Transit routes are affected by the snow, including Route 1, 5, 6, 91 and 97
- Another 5cm of snow is forecast for Nanaimo today, although a broader forecast for the South Coast region is still calling for 15-25cm
On Twitter: @nanaimonewsnow
Persistent Parksville entrepreneur impresses on historic Dragons' Den episode
NANAIMO — What was a business-saving appearance on the CBC show Dragons' Den also turned into a...
READ MORE +
Man pleads guilty to 2017 murder at Nanaimo's Howard Johnson Hotel
NANAIMO — A man admitted to murdering another man in the lobby of the now-closed Howard Johnson...
READ MORE +
City inundated with calls after snow-covered sidewalks create dangerous conditions
NANAIMO — After more than 50 centimetres of snow hammered Nanaimo this week, there's a growing call...
READ MORE +