NANAIMO — The Nanaimo region was hammered with as much as 40 centimetres of snow in some areas throughout Sunday.
That has caused many issues around the mid-island on Monday, as plows struggle to keep up with road clearing.
This post is no longer being updated on a live basis. Travel on any roadways should be avoided at all costs Monday evening and overnight. If any major incidents happen, we will post updates. We will be back at 5:30 a.m. Tuesday with up-to-the-second information.
This list is updated with newest information at the top:
- Posts online indicate some roads are covering over again quickly as of 4 p.m. Picture posted shows worsening conditions on Terminal Ave. near Brooks Landing
- Callers indicate both northbound lanes on the Parkway are currently closed just past Northfield Rd. as a tow truck tries to get a garbage truck out of the ditch. Unclear how long this will last (posted at 2:35 p.m.)
- Multiple flights cancelled at Nanaimo Airport. Air Canada and WestJet have cancelled all departures and arrivals starting at 3 p.m. Monday, carrying on into Tuesday morning. Passengers are told to check with their airline.
- Another significant shot of snow is headed for Nanaimo. Anywhere from 20 to 40 centimetres predicted. Full story here.
- BC Ferries cancels the final round trip of the night on Departure Bay-Horseshoe Bay and Duke Point-Tsawwassen this evening due to predicted poor conditions. Details here
- RDN buses back on regular routing with the exception of routes: 40, 30, and 91
- City of Nanaimo says garbage collection is cancelled for the day. People should bring their bins back inside. Extra garbage will be allowed on the next cycle
- All City Parks and Rec Play and Learn programs cancelled for the day
- City of Nanaimo plows making headway on emergency/priority routes. Moving onto secondary roads this morning. Most roads experiencing winter driving conditions
- Parkway is compact snow/slushy conditions in most areas. Side roads are in worse condition in most areas
- Enchanted Woodland Child Care Centre closed
- MainRoad says it is shifting its focus today to side roads which haven’t been plowed. Focus on hilly areas first
- RDN Transit update posted in comments
- All City of Nanaimo rinks and pools are open. Program updates to follow
- District 68 schools - closed
- District 69 schools - closed
- VIU - closed
- Ecole Oceane - closed
- Aspengrove School - closed
- Nanaimo Child Development Centre - closed
- Boys and Girls Club - closed
- Garbage collection - cancelled
- BC Ferries (Nanaimo - Mainland) - running
Car stolen and home ransacked in apparent coordinated Qualicum B&E
NANAIMO —It'll be a sour dose of reality for vacationing Qualicum Beach homeowners robbed during a...
READ MORE +
Street drug use should be decriminalized to cut deaths: B.C. health officer
VICTORIA — A push by British Columbia's health officer to decriminalize drug possession in the...
READ MORE +
Woman convicted after high-profile vigilante style arrest in Nanaimo
NANAIMO — A woman who pleaded guilty to a widely reported break-in was set free due to credit for...
READ MORE +