Trial looms for Nanaimo man accused in massive Utah meth bust

By Ian Holmes
July 11, 2017 - 8:09pm Updated: July 12, 2017 - 11:55am

A Nanaimo man accused of possessing 68 lbs. of crystal meth in Utah is scheduled to go on trial in August.Fox 13 Salt Lake

NANAIMO — A Nanaimo man accused in a huge crystal meth bust in Utah last summer is facing an upcoming federal trial.

According the United States Department of Justice (USDJ) in Salt Lake City, a jury trial for Blake Arcand is slated to begin on Aug. 8 on a charge of possessing drugs for the purpose of trafficking.

Arcand is accused of having nearly 68 lbs. of crystal meth inside the rental car he was driving when he was pulled over on Aug. 16, 2016. Arcand, who was 57-years-old at the time of his arrest, plead not guilty on Sept. 1 of last year.

USDJ documents supplied to NanaimoNewsNOW show judge David Nuffer denied a defence motion to supress evidence against Arcand, who argued officers had no lawful justification for stopping his vehicle. However, Nuffer ruled the traffic stop was supported by reasonable suspicion Arcand had committed a traffic offence.

Arcand has the option of filing a second motion by a July 21 deadline.

The indictment report from police (Unifed Police Department) stated Arcand was pulled over on Interstate-15 in Salt Lake County for following another vehicle too closely.

The report noted Arcand appeared extremely nervous when questioned by an officer. Arcand told the officer he flew to Los Angeles, CA, rented a car and was headed to North Dakota.

A suitcase in the trunk contained multiple packages holding a crystal like substance, which later tested positive for crystal meth, the indictment report said.

If convicted, Arcand faces a minimum 10-year prison sentence, the USDJ said.

He remains in custody.

[email protected]

On Twitter: @reporterholmes

City of Nanaimo on the fence on future of large forested property